BIC program areas
BIC program activities are largely determined by the needs and demands of civil society organizations in the Global South. While the political and institutional landscape in which BIC operates continues to change, the basic services and reform efforts that have characterized BIC’s mission and strategy remain critical. BIC pursues its mission through three major strategies: (i) information services and capacity building; (ii) project and policy monitoring; and (iii) policy reform of the MDBs. These strategies require our persistent engagement with NGOs and grassroots social movements around the world to support their efforts to participate in and influence development decisions. For this reason, we have organized a large part of BIC’s program work by geographic regions, with staff dedicated to Asia, Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe and Central Asia and the Middle East and North Africa.
BIC services and tools
- Popular education materials, including the World Bank Toolkit for Activists and the Guide to Understanding the Asian Development Bank
- Access to hard-to-obtain project documents and other information on the international financial institutions
- Country and policy updates, for example the Extractive Industries Review Update
- Analytical work on key developments within the institutions and case studies of problem projects
- Strategic support for monitoring individual projects and policies, for example the Chad-Cameroon Oil Development and Pipeline Project and the Southern Transport Development Project in Sri Lanka
- Policy analysis and advocacy to promote rights, transparency, accountability and participation within the operations and governance of the institutions
BIC''s Commitment to Transparency and the Environment
Given the nature of BIC''s work, the organization assumes the highest transparency standards and undertakes to be open, honest and accountable about its activities and operations. BIC will pro-actively produce and disclose on its website relevant financial and budgetary information, and will also respond to information requests regarding the organization''s operations. BIC also offsets carbon dioxide emissions generated by air travel of its employees.