The Sustainable Development Association (SDA) is a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) based in Alexandria, Egypt. We work towards enhancing employment opportunities for young people at local, national, and international levels.
We were officially registered in 2003, and our board is considered to be one of the youngest and most dynamic in the country. Our main objectives are to encourage and enable youth, by identifying the key problems facing them and their society, and to give them the necessary skills to address these problems.
The organisation complements the school and the family, filling needs not met by either. At the organisation young people discover the world beyond the classroom. They develop self-knowledge, and the need to explore and to know more.
The SDA helps young people to develop intellectually and socially.
The SDA is a challenge for adults as well. It is a way to improve understanding between generations. In the service of young people, adults receive valuable training and experience adding to their own personal development.
Our mission is to contribute to the education of young people, and to help build a better generation in which young people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society. This is achieved by:
- Meeting the needs and aspirations of young people;
- Focusing on the distinctive contribution SDA can make to the education of young people, particularly through indirect and non-formal methods;
- Reaching out to more young people by encouraging participation;
- Attracting and retaining well qualified staff and consultants with experience in youth issues;
- Working with others to better serve young people, by enabling each individual to become the principal agent of his or her own development as a self-reliant, supportive, responsible and committed person;
- assisting young people to establish a value system based upon humane social and personal principles.
Our vision is to create a society in which young people play an active role, and in which their needs and desires are fully represented, respected, and achieved. We see SDA as a dynamic, innovative social movement with good resources, simple structures, and democratic decision making processes in which organization, management and communication are effective at all levels, and work together to achieve our objectives.