ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES is a nonprofit, international humanitarian organization, whose objective is to provide relief to victims of war while promoting the work of talented artists.
ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES is a neutral, non-government organization (NGO), independent in its choice of activities. Priority is given to help the displaced and refugees of ethnic conflicts and civil wars.
ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES operates independently of any institutional, corporate, political, economic, religious or ethnic influences. While partly supported by private donors, ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES primarily depends on VOLUNTEER and CONTRIBUTING talented artists in achieving its mission.
ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES'' principal objectives are:
- To provide relief to victims of war with the help of known and unknown talented artists while promoting their work.
- To provide direct psychological relief to the victims of war by bringing art or entertainment to refugee camps and zones battered by conflicts.
- To promote the work of VOLUNTEER and CONTRIBUTING artists.
- To raise consciousness about the victims of ethnic and civil wars worldwide through artistic expression.
- To raise consciousness about the problems of ethnic intolerance and cultural clash, that are occurring worldwide and are likely to intensify with the processes of internationalization and immigration.
- To favor political dialogue and non-violence, harmonious coexistence, tolerance and reconciliation for the solution of those conflicts.
- To alleviate the "clash of civilizations" by celebrating the cultural and ethnic diversity of the world through artistic expression.
- To promote and encourage inter-cultural study, tolerant understanding and aesthetic enjoyment of the enormously diverse races, ethnicities, religions, languages and cultures of the world through artistic expression.
- To raise consciousness through art about the endangered cultural minorities who are facing cultural extinction.
ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES was started by a group of artists in Tokyo, Japan, during the NATO bombing of ex-Yugoslavia (now Serbia and Montenegro).
Numerous artists have been joining ARTISTS WITHOUT BORDERS / ARTISTES SANS FRONTIERES and its activities on a voluntary basis.